The Mission Continues Fellowship
About Southern Crescent Habitat for Humanity
Southern Crescent Habitat for Humanity (SCHFH) is a faith-based, non-profit organization that seeks to put God’s love into action by bringing people together to build homes, communities, and hope. We have a vision in which everyone has a decent place to live.
We help low-income families find opportunity, achieve stability, and improve their futures. We build stronger families and neighborhoods through homeowner education which includes financial literacy and by partnering with donors and volunteers to construct attractive, affordable homes and to repair existing homes.
Caught in a poverty cycle of unpredictable rent increases, overcrowded conditions, or lack of access to land and affordable financing, these families live with a constant burden of uncertainty, stress, and fear.
We believe that safe, decent and affordable shelter plays an absolutely critical role in helping families to create a new cycle, one filled with possibilities and progress. Affordable homeownership frees families and fosters the skills and confidence they need to invest in themselves and their communities. The outcomes can be long-lasting and life-changing.
About the Mission Continues Fellowship
Through the Fellowship Program, post-9/11 veterans have the opportunity to continue service to their nation by serving in their communities. We challenge our veterans to use the skills and leadership gained through their military service to benefit the lives of those around them. We enrich the lives of our Fellows through service, helping to facilitate their transition to civilian life and foster their ability as models of service to inspire others to serve. This includes a cost of living stipend, substantial guidance, and continuous mentorship to aid in having a lasting impact in your community. To apply, please click here.
Job Title: Carpenter
Schedule: 8am-4pm Tuesdays and Thursdays; 8am-12pm Saturdays, for duration of 6 months
Location: Hannah Springs SCHFH Neighborhood: 11546 East Lovejoy Rd, Hampton, GA 30228
Veteran Volunteer Opportunities and Responsibilities:
We’re seeking a veteran to join our construction team through a Mission Continues Fellowship for the Alpha Class (January 2018-July 2018).
The fellow will help in the construction of the next 5 homes in our 28 lot SCHFH neighborhood, Hannah Springs, alongside volunteers.
1. Hang interior doors and run interior baseboard
2. Install siding and windows
3. Frame wall panels
4. Organize materials and prep tools for build days
5. Help with all clean-up and warehouse organization
Required Skills or Qualifications
- Experience working in carpentry.
- Must be available to work Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
- Ability to read a tape measure and compute measurements.
- Ability to drive a box truck.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds.
- Will be on feet all day.
- All applicants will be subject to a background check as part of the application process. Individual circumstances will be discussed on a case-by-case basis.
- Honorably discharged veterans having served a minimum of 24 months (total) after September 11, 2001, are eligible to apply. Applications with less than 24 months of service will be considered if serious injury and or extenuating circumstances prevented further service. Various characters of discharge will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Veterans applying for fellowship must have completed all military obligation and no longer serving with the National Guard or Reserve. Veterans on terminal leave or part of the IRR/ING may apply.
The fellow will be directly involved in providing affordable housing for our five partner families receiving the homes by helping to do the carpentry and construction work. In addition, the fellow will be interacting with staff, our partner families, other volunteers and donors that will encourage and inspire them to further invest and contribute to their communities by seeing the fellow selflessly giving their time to serve.