While our new home construction and rehab programs focus on helping families become first time home buyers, our home repair program serves the needs of current homeowners.
What It Takes to Qualify
Need – Participants must own their home and have a verifiable need that falls within our scope of work and capabilities. We are actively seeking Senior Adults and Veterans for our home repair services.
Willingness to Partner – Participants must be willing to attend an application workshop and a home maintenance class and commit to sweat equity requirements (between 15 – 35 hours). We believe people need a hand up, not a hand out so your investment and participation are an important part of our program.
Ability to Pay a Portion of the Costs – Habitat works hard to provide a portion of the funding for the expenses of each project, however, every participant will be responsible for paying some part of the total cost. When necessary we can provide a short term, no interest payment plan. There is also a $35 application fee for the program.
Type of Work We Can Do
A Brush With Kindness
- This program helps families maintain the exterior of their homes so they can improve their living conditions and the sense of pride in their neighborhood.
- Requires an initial $250 investment from homeowner + 20 hours of sweat equity.
The scope of work includes:
– Paint exterior of home
– Minor repairs to fascia, siding, and trim
– Caulk exterior cracks
– Landscaping (trim trees and bushes, weed yard, remove trash)
Home Energy Plus
- This program works to improve energy efficiency and reduce utility bills thus increasing affordability.
- Requires an initial investment of $250 from homeowner + 40 hours of sweat equity.
The scope of work includes:
– Replacement of windows, doors, bathroom fixtures, and water heater
– Install energy efficient upgrades, weather stripping, door sweeps, smoke detectors and CO2 detectors
– Insulate ductwork and attic
– Minor roof repairs
– Minor plumbing repairs
– Mechanical repairs
Critical Home Repair
- This program focuses on both exterior and interior work to address critical health, life and safety issues or code violations.
- Requires an initial investment of $250 from homeowner + 60 hours of sweat equity.
The scope of work includes Home Energy Plus services and the following:
– Replace and repair furnace and AC
– Door handles and locks
– Install security and screen door
– Replace and repair plumbing, electrical, drywall
– Tile flooring
– Major repairs to fascia, siding, trim, and roof
Overview of the Process
Step 1: Complete the online Home Repair Questionnaire.
Step 2: Attend an application workshop to learn about our Home Repair services and how to qualify.
Step 3: If you are still interested and believe you qualify, complete the Home Repair application materials and provide all necessary documents and information.
Step 4: Once you have been approved, someone from our construction staff will visit your home to assess the repairs needed on your home.
Step 5: We will schedule volunteers to perform the repairs and/or hire out professional services when applicable.
Home Repair Questionnaire